Saturday, December 8, 2012

Biscoff Oatmeal Cookies

I recently found a stock of crunchy Biscoff spread at our discount grocery store. If you've never been on a Delta flight or had a Biscoff (or Speculoos cookie) elsewhere, the best way I can describe it is like a cross between gingerbread and shortbread. It's a little spicy and buttery and people go mad for them. To make the spread they just crush the cookies and mix with oil, it comes in creamy and crunchy, like peanut butter. I have been excited to try baking with this spread but I could never find it.

My next recipe idea for this stuff would be a Nutella cake with a crunchy Biscoff buttercream--I also think Biscoff cookies would make a lovely crust for a cheesecake. 

I found this recipe at twopeasandtheirpod.com. I changed a few things the second time I made them: I doubled the amount of salt--I like a lot of big grains of sea salt in cookies, I toasted the oats in the oven and then processed them in the food processor to deepen the flavor and break up the big chewy oats. That's just my personal preference though.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Biscoff Oatmeal Cookies

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen cookies

Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (toasted and processed if you like)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons of flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup Biscoff Spread
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.

3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the butter, Biscoff spread, sugar, and brown sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla extra and beat until smooth.

4. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients, beating only until blended. Chill the dough 30 minutes in the refrigerator (do not skip this step--it helps keep the middles of the cookies chewier). When you have about 10 minutes left you can preheat your oven.

5. Form the cookie dough into rounded tablespoons and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until cookies are golden and just firm around the edges. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then remove with a spatula onto a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment