Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Snickerdoodles

The delicious cookie with the undignified name! I made some rolo-filled snickerdoodles at Xmas time with my sisters and they were great--very chewy and delicious. I went in search of a non-stuffed recipe and I found these. They are very good and my husband raved and ate half of them in one night. They aren't as chewy as the other recipe (some could argue that the other recipe was too hard/chewy but I do like that texture more than most but I also like burnt popcorn so what the hell do I know), they're more tender but still have a little chew to them. I have made these twice and would do so again if I need a reliable crowd-pleasing type of cookie for a bake sale or gift. I gave a batch to our neighbors after they let us tromp around in their back yard looking for our wayward cat.

I did reduce the sugar (by 1/4 cup) in the recipe the second time. I found them a little sweet. I would also recommend doubling the recipe as it only yields 16-18 small cookies.


Photobucket


Ingredients

1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar(or do 1/4 cup if you prefer)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

For rolling:
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions

1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer on high speed. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.

2. In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar.

3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.

4. Preheat oven to 300 degrees while you let the dough rest for 30 to 60 minutes in the refrigerator.

5. In a small bowl, combine the sugar with the cinnamon for the topping.

6. Take about 2 1/2 tablespoons of the dough and roll it into a ball. Roll this dough in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and press it onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat for the remaining cookies.

7. Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes and no more. The cookies may seem undercooked, but will continue to develop after they are removed from the oven. When the cookies have cooled they should be soft and chewy in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment